Wednesday 30 June 2021

Building a world on a budget. Part four.

 

Building a world on a budget.

The fourth piece in my terrain building project follows the same theme as the previous terrain post, in that, I am once more returning to a piece that I made nine years ago.  I am sorry to say that I do not have any pictures of the building process.

Project four: The Yakisoba bunker.

Construction


The bunker`s main structure was made from an instant yakisoba tub, in which I punched some holes for the door and the window.  I really liked the shape of the tub it reminded me of the buildings in Mos Eisley which is never a bad thing. 

To detail the bunker, I went back to my collection of gubbins and used straws for the pipes and the ladder, an old broken earphone for the window, a blister pack for the door, small pieces of cork for the wall details, and a piece of broken electronics for the door control panel.  

I would love to say that I plan these things before I start making them, but the truth is I generally let the piece grow organically as I am making it.

The texture on the bunker was achieved by using a Tamiya texture paint.  I think that I used their concrete texture paint for this build, but it was a long time ago and I may have used snow or mud.  

Originally the building was painted grey, and I then used a Coat d`arms super shader.  I was never happy with the finish, which is partly why the bunker sat in a box for nearly ten years, so I decided to spruce the paint job up. 

For the paint scheme, I went back to basics and undercoated the building in black, applied a grey black base coat, then a black wash.  After that it was just a matter of dry brushing several different layers of grey onto the building.  The building looked a little dull all in the same grey, so I decided to pick out some different areas in a darker green grey to help break up the monotony of the paint scheme.  


As a finishing touch for the piece I added several bits of graffitti and building designation numbers to the bunker.  These are all transfers rather than any freehand work by me, but overall I think that they really add something to the building.


3 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Your use of bits and bobs is quite effective and I particularly like your graffiti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers. I have collected some more yoghurt pots, so a couple more buildings will be appear at some point in the future.

    ReplyDelete