Thursday 10 June 2021

Building a world on a budget. Part one.

Building a world on a budget.

In building the terrain for my tabletop I wanted to recapture the style of my childhood.  In the late 1980s, there was a certain Blue Peter feel to the wargames table.  The average gamer would be ferreting away things that would be consider rubbish by the uninitiated to be later turned into unique pieces of terrain.  This approach was even encouraged in the original Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader rulebook.  On page two hundred and sixty-two there are three DIY terrain projects outlined.  The first project, the Control Tower, really grabbed my interest, so, I went about collecting, not hoarding, the materials that I would need for it.

Project one: The custard pudding tower

Construction

 

At this stage I wish that I had made some holes in the pots, so that I could have installed some LEDs, and some silhouettes of the interior.  This is something that I will try on the next tower that I make.

Added other details to help disguise its original nature and applied an undercoated.

I achieved the texture on the tower with an old dried-up snow texture paint which I almost threw away, but I managed to rescue.

Completed










2 comments:

  1. Retro Awesomeness!

    I love the old GW stuff that encouraged folks to make use of whatever they had lying around to make terrain rather than just the new plastic tat which just lacks the charm and originality of Rogue Trader/2nd Edition era!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I know what you mean with the new stuff. They lack the right feel for me. I think that it is due to the uniformity, all the tables look the same.

    ReplyDelete