Saturday 5 June 2021

Firefight at Farthingloe

Firefight at Farthingloe 

After a failed coup at the capital of Dubris XXI damaged renegade dreadnought Argos Cannon sought succour on the agri-moon of Farthingloe.  There he hoped to affect repairs on his damaged drive unit and jump jets.  Unfortunately for him the inquisition had sent elements of the 85th Astor regiment, Grilli`s Vegetables, to detain or destroy him.

With the element of surprise on his side Lieutenant Ward set up his men in an ambush position. 


The first Argos became aware of the trap waiting for him was when a fusillade of laser fire erupted around him.  Only the Las cannon found its mark, but Argos smiled to himself as it was deflected by his intact Power field.

The veteran pilot strode towards the waiting guardsmen opening fire with his twin-linked bolters the storm of bolts shredded one of the Vegetables.

Cursing the loss of his jump jets in the fool’s errand on Dubris XXI, Argos closed the gap with his attackers.  He focused his fire on the NCO commanding the Las cannon fireteam, the concentrated bolter fire blew away Sergeant Ioannou`s left leg.

The screams of the wounded sergeant almost caused the Vegetables to lose their nerve, but lieutenant Ward`s unwavering belief in the Emperor and clear orders held them together.  Once the dreadnought came into range, he gave the order for the guardsmen to switch to their AGLs and in unison eight crack grenades sailed towards the dreadnought. Only one of the grenades was able to penetrate the Power field, but as it cracked open the armour of the dreadnought fragments penetrated Argos Cannon`s brain.

Unconscious, and dying, what little was left of Argos` will to survive drove the killing machine on.  Veering away to the right the deadly machine`s weapons fired automatically killing two more of the 85th.

The dreadnought lurched towards the final guardsman standing in its way to freedom twisting its torso into a firing position before the lights on the machine suddenly died.  Argos Cannon, renegade dreadnought, had expired from his wounds.




5 comments:

  1. Awesome battle report!

    I read that you’d played it using both Rogue Trader and Planet 28 which is great to hear and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, that is right I played it with both sets of rules. I choose the most interesting events from both games for the narrative. I found the eleven Imperial guard a little time consuming with Planet 28, but then I gave them all individual profiles. I think that I will probably use Planet 28 for actions with fewer models.

      Delete
    2. Indeed!

      Rogue Trader works really well at a squad level, scenario driven sort of game while Planet 28 is better suited as a low model count RPG lite skirmish sort of affair and I've been playing it with 2-3 models a side!

      Delete
    3. That sounds like the right sort scales for both games. I have mostly squad level scenarios in my mind at the moment, but I am sure something smaller will come to me at some point.

      Delete
  2. It blew of my bloody leg of course I would be screaming haha! Brilliant mate I’m catching up with this one slowly I know a mammoth task!

    ReplyDelete