Thursday 8 July 2021

Building a world on a budget. Part five.

 Building a world on a budget.

For the fifth piece in my terrain building project, I decided to move away from my usual single building projects to some scatter terrain.  Also, unlike my previous terrain building posts I have not made these pieces, but rather they were a lucky find that I have weathered, for them to give good service on my gaming table.

Project five: One-hundred-yen shop shipping containers.

Weathering

The shipping containers were originally designed as stationery tins, but the minute I saw them I thought that they would be perfect for my gaming table.  The first thing that I had to do to get them table ready was to try and dull down their shiny new look. 

I started the weathering process by applying several coats of Vallejo black wash.  I tried to vary how much wash I put on each container, after I received some excellent advice on weathering shipping containers from the OldHammer Facebook group, to give the containers the look of varied age.


As an experiment I decided to try out a brown wash, the wash was a bit thick after I applied it and it looked quite a mess.  So, I tried wiping a lot of the ink off and the finish was quite pleasing. 

To further weather some of the containers I took my hobby knife to some of them and scraped some of the paint away.  I tried to do it in places where the containers may have got damaged in use.  I then experimented with two Vallejo rust effect paints to, again, vary the aged appearance of the containers.  An important lesson that I learnt from using these paints was that the particles in the paints, that give a great rust effect, destroy paint brushes.  Sadly, I did not realise that until I had destroyed one of my good brushes. 


These containers were a nice alternative project that look good on the table and allowed me to experiment with some paints and techniques that I had not used before.  Of course, I ended up buying a few more of the containers than I had planned when I first saw them, but they have already done some sterling service on my table. 





No comments:

Post a Comment