Sunday 26 September 2021

Building a world on a budget. Part six

 

Building a world on a budget.

It has been quite a long time since I last put the spotlight on a piece of terrain that I have built, so this week, as an interlude from the tales from the Cantwara sector, I thought I would present the Pleasure Dome.  The Pleasure dome is the sixth piece in my terrain building project and it is another piece rescued from obscurity that had sat in my cupboard gathering dust for nine years. 

As I made this piece nearly a decade ago, I don`t have any pictures of the building process.

Project six: The Udon Pleasure Dome

Construction

The pleasure dome’s main structure was made from a convenience store udon bowl.  My original plan was to keep it transparent and have some kind of garden visible inside.  I was inspired by the geodesic domes in the1972 film Silent Running, but after a few failed attempts I put that idea on the back burner and went for a much simpler structure.

I thought that the overall look of the bowl was great and that it would not need much to make it game ready.  I added a cable tie for a vent on the top of the bowl and I dug out a resin door that had sat in my bits box for an age.  Rather than cutting out a hole in the bowl to accommodate the door I used modelling putty to fashion a doorway.

Like the previous structures that I have made the texture on the bunker was achieved by using a Tamiya texture paint.  I am fairly certain that I used the Tamiya concrete texture paint for this build, but it was a long time ago and I may have used snow or mud.  The building was painted grey, and I then used a Coat d`arms super shader.  I was never really satisfied with the way the structure looked, which helps to explain why the dome sat in my cupboard for nearly ten years, so I decided to repaint it.

For the paint scheme, I went back to basics and undercoated the building in black, applied a dark blue base coat, then a blue wash.  After that it was just a matter of dry brushing several different layers of blue onto the building.  I thought that the building looked a bit boring all in the same blue, so I decided to pick out some different areas in  purple.  The blue and purple paint scheme then gave me some ideas about what the domes purpose was in the Cantwara sector.  

To detail the pleasure dome I turned to my collection of transfers.  These I used for the building designation number, some signage, and the name of the dome. I tried to keep them as uniform as possible, but there are a few sections that could have done with a steadier hand.  Still, I think the effect is quite presentable.

To finish the pleasure dome, I added some flock around the bottom of the dome. 

Overall, this is a piece that I am really pleased with and has already done go service on the battlefields of the Cantwara sector.



2 comments:

  1. Lovely work on the dome! The blue and purple with the yellow text combines together really nicely and combined with the old school flock, it looks just the part for a retro sci-fi scenario!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it was a lot of fun to make.

    ReplyDelete